Referee Kayoed By Wild Heavyweight Bull

Bellingham, Wash., Evening News – November 18, 1936
By Joe Caraher

Rumpus reigned and pandemonium resulted in promoter R.C. Hennig’s mat extravaganza at Liberty Hall last night when everything in the books was turned topsy-turvy and a few things not included in the code volume were put on display during a main event battle between Bob Stewart, Jules Strongbow and Chet Camp.

And it isn’t often a dyed-in-the-taffeta villain encourages the sympathy of a wild, ogre-eyed, peanut-throwing crowd. A short paragraph in history was written, though, when the fans sidled in with Jules Strongbow, curly-haired Cherokee, in a manner not lacking in enthusiasm. When the ticket buyers clamour for a win on the part of the Indian violinist he’s really up against a nasty opponent.

Bob Stewart was the handlebar-mustached villain of the piece. He ired the crowd with his challenges to battle anyone in the arena and had the local law enforcers on his neck when he kayoed Chet Camp, the arbiter, with a lusty smash to the face.

It all resulted from a questionable undertaking by the portly Omahan in the last canto of their five-round debacle. The bout was even up with each owning a fall till that stage of the spree. Stewart had floored Strongbow after tyng him up in the ropes and then handing him a vicious body slam that took a little ozone out of the fiddle-player’s sails.

Stewart offered to help Strongbow to his feet. While in the process of establishing Jules in a vertical position, Stewart gathered up all 280 pounds of the Indian and pinned him to the resin cloth. Referee Camp stepped in to halt the occurrence but Stewart rapped the hardware salesman on the button and the lights went dim for Chet.

At this stage – Camp was out and Jules was convalescing – a host of policemen rushed into the circle along with big Jerry Poelargio, Jules’ second, and chased Stewart to the shower room.

Camp, there in person but missing in spirit, was unable to render a decision, although a disqualification for the Nebraska cornfield jockey was justly earned.

In one of the smaller tents, in which only officials were present, Jules put on a dramatic comeback by whacking Stewart over the head with an unupholstered chair, but that was behind closed doors and the actual damage done was not determined by sun-up today.

In the semi-final bout Reb Russell, who, believe it or not, has fallen right into the laps of Joe Fan because he changed his tactics from roughhouse to chivalry, lost a two-out-of-three falls bout to Chief Chiwaki, olive-skinned Rumanian.

Dutch Osborne and Art Morse, as playful as a pair of hungry wildcats, went to a no-fall draw in the first match of the night. The affair was far from being a typical opener and no horses were spared during that curtain-raiser heat.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s